TOM KITA CHARA ELECTIONS 2021
All elections this year will be held VIRTUALLY with no exceptions. Once you schedule your election and your election time has been chosen, you will soon receive an email with a zoom link for that time. Here are some tips and instructions for virtual election meetings
1. We recommend that this election be done from a virtual meeting standpoint. Our system requires each youth to have access to the Zoom app and having an entire troop meeting in the same building can cause connection issues. We recommend this be done from each member’s houses as we have found this works better
2. Make sure that each youth member has access to their own personal device with zoom, that way each can individually vote in the election
3. Try to make sure your unit is ready to go at least 5-10 minutes before the election, that way it will run very smoothly and you will be able to hammer out any problems in terms of technology.
4. Make sure to have submitted your spreadsheet with each candidate’s information at least a day beforehand. If you have any questions about eligibility or anything else, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you all for bearing with us for this year. We are excited to be back in-person next year!
Each unit leader should be receiving regular emails from Tom Kita Chara Lodge throughout the elections season about scheduling elections if they have not done so. These emails will contain election information and a Zoom link for you to schedule your election.
If you are having any issues scheduling your election contact your chapter chief or email email@example.com
Youth Membership Qualifications
1. Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
2. At the time of their election, youth must be under the age of 21, hold the Scouts BSA First Class rank, the Venturing Discovery Award, or the Sea Scout Ordinary rank or higher, and following approval by the scoutmaster, crew advisor or Sea Scout skipper, be elected by the youth members of their unit.
3. The youth must have experienced 15 nights of camping while registered with a troop, crew or ship within the two years immediately prior to the election. Virtual Camping nights are allowed, in order for one of these night to be counted, there must be contact with other unit members (some event/activity) either the night before or the day after. Any combination of nights will suffice, meaning that long-term camping nights with-in the last two years may be counted. The limitation is that no more than 5 total camping nights can be counted per month and of those no more than 3 can be virtual. For the full article describing temporary changes to qualifications for 2021, please click here.
4. Assistant scoutmasters who are 18, 19 or 20 years old are also considered to be youth members for the purpose of OA elections. All requirements shown above must be met for a young assistant scoutmaster to be eligible for election.
We recognize, especially with the year we’ve had, that your unit may not any eligible candidates. It is still our duty to give your unit a presentation about Summer Camp as well as all of the other opportunities through scouting such as NYLT and High Adventure trips.
To that effect we ask that you please still fill out the election form and check the “camp promotion” box. You would then get a zoom link where you would meet with some representative’s from your chapter and they would talk to you about Summer Camp and some of the big opportunities that are available to youth through the scouting program.
My unit has been meeting in person, so can we do our election in person?
— No, we understand that this may be inconvenient from some units, but it is the system we are using this year.
Many of the members of my unit don’t have good enough connection for Zoom calls. What do we do?
— If this is the case for your unit then we can hold your election during summer camp. Still submit adult nominations as early as possible.
Can we do the election with just one device broadcasting to the room?
— Each youth will need their own zoom client so that they can vote, although you can have one screen with the volume on for everyone to watch, all the youth will still need so have some way to get on zoom on their own
What will Ordeals be like this summer?
— Ordeals will be essentially normal. They will be done week by week (Not as a big one at Fall Conference) and so any elected candidates will have the opportunity to complete their Ordeal during summer camp. We will still be able to accommodate anybody who had missed summer camp by doing their Ordeal at Fall Conference