2021 Order of the Arrow Unit Elections
- Request an Election
- Prepare for the Election
- Submit Eligible Candidates
- Conduct the Election
- Adult Nominations
Step 1: Requesting a Unit Election
All Scouts BSA Troops, Venture Crews, and Sea Scout Ships in Bay-Lakes Council are encouraged to hold an Order of the Arrow Unit Election. This Unit Election is the annual opportunity to recognize Scouts and Scouters who have exemplified the Scout Oath and Law.
Unit Leaders should have received an email to schedule their unit’s Order of the Arrow election in Lodgemaster (the OA’s member and election management system).
Once requested, a member of Kon Wapos Lodge will contact you to arrange the virtual election which will be completed via a Google Form. If you did not receive the link, or have questions, please contact unitelections.konwapos.org
Step 2: Preparing for your Unit Election
Those candidates who were elected in 2020 but did not complete their Ordeal will remain candidates in 2021 and do not require re-election in 2021. If in-person Ordeal weekends are not possible due to COVID or other circumstances, the Lodge will conduct virtual Ordeal weekends. Callout ceremonies are being planned for camporees in April and May, and during summer camp at Bear Paw and Camp Hiawatha. Callout ceremonies are not required for a candidate to participate in the Ordeal induction. Please see www.baylakesbsa.org for the event refund policy.
Once the unit election is requested, please click the below button to download a Candidate Submission Template. Please complete the Excel document listed for each eligible youth member in your unit. Eligible Scouts must meet requirements 1-3 below. Adults (Scouters aged 21+) must meet requirements 1 and 2 as well as be nominated by the adult committee.
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Had experienced 15 nights of Scout camping while registered with a troop, crew, or ship within the two years immediately prior to the election. The 15 nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of at least five consecutive nights of overnight camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. Only five nights of the long-term camp may be credited toward the 15-night camping requirement; the balance of the camping (10 nights) must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps of, at most, three nights each. Ship nights may be counted as camping for Sea Scouts.
- Guidance from the national Order of the Arrow committee effective 1/10/2021: Temporary Changes to Eligibility (an mentioned at the top of the page)
- If your unit has already completed the annual election and now have more eligible Scouts as a result of this amendment, please contact UnitElections@KonWapos.org. Only Scouts not eligible under the existing requirements, but now eligible with the amended requirements will be considered for candidacy under this guideline.
- At the time of their election, youth must be under the age of 21, and hold one of the following ranks corresponding to the type unit in which they are being considered for election: Scouts BSA First Class rank, the Venturing Discovery Award, or the Sea Scout Ordinary rank or higher, and following approval by the Scoutmaster, Crew Advisor or Sea Scout Skipper, be elected by the youth members of their unit.
- Adults (age 21 or older) who meet the camping requirements may be selected following nomination to and approval by the lodge adult selection committee.
Click the button below to download a template to submit your eligible Scouts for candidacy to the Order of the Arrow.
Step 3: Submit your Eligible Candidates
After entering each eligible Scout into the Excel spreadsheet, please email the Excel spreadsheet to your Chapter at the email listed below. Not sure which district you’re in? Find your district on the Chapters page.
Step 4: Conduct the Election
After submitting your unit’s candidates above, a member of your Chapter’s Unit Elections team will be in contact with you to administer your unit’s election. Please note that all elections will be conducted virtually even if your unit is meeting in-person. There will not be an OA representative attending the election. The process for elections is outlined below:
- Decide on a date and time for your unit’s election. As in the 2020 Unit Elections, this can be a specific time (Tuesday at 7pm) if your unit is hosting virtual or in-person meetings or this could be a span of time (e.g. the week of January 18th) for those unit who may not be holding regular unit meetings due to COVID-19 or other circumstances. Your unit’s election duration will be that timeframe.
- The unit election will be conducted via a Google Form. This Google Form should be sent to your unit at the most appropriate time for your election. For units conducting their election at a specific time, it would be appropriate to send the link to the Form shortly before the set time. For those units conducting their election over a span of time, it would be appropriate to send the link to the Form at the start of the span of time. Please note: the Unit Election team will send the link to the unit leader. It is the unit leader’s responsibility to send the link to the entire unit.
- After the election is over, the Form will stop accepting responses and the election will be considered over, so long as the response rate is 50% +1 of those in attendance at the election. For those units conducting their election over a span of time, the requirement is 50% +1 of the average number of active youth in the unit. If 50% +1 is not met, the election will be re-administered one time. If after the second ballot 50% +1 is not reached, the election will have failed. Unit leaders: please make your unit aware of the importance of their attendance and participation in the unit election.
- Once the election is complete, the Unit Election team will process the results. Election results will be communicated with the Unit Leader. The candidate’s parents will also be notified. The unit may choose to announce their results or wait for the Callout ceremony at a district camporee or summer camp. Please note that the Callout ceremony is not a required step in the inductions process.
Step 5: Adult Nominations
After each unit’s youth election is completed and processed, the Lodge will contact the unit with details regarding the adult nomination process.
Each unit is allowed to nominate adults for candidacy in the Order of the Arrow under the following guidelines:
- A unit may nominate two adults for every three youth elected (rounded up when not a multiple of three). For example, a unit with three youth elected may only nominate two adults. A unit with four youth elected may nominate four adults. A unit with six youth elected may only nominate four adults, with seven youth a unit may nominate six adults.
- The unit leader may be nominated in addition to the ratio in (1) if the unit leader is not already a member of the Order of the Arrow.
- Adults must meet requirements 1 and 2 as stated above in the youth requirements and must be nominated by the unit committee.
Adult nominations should be submitted using the form below no later than April 30th. These nominations are still subject to approval by the Lodge’s Adult Selection Committee.
Questions and Contact
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Will an OA Representative be present for the election?
No, due to COVID-19, all Council-level events have been suspended. This includes Lodge events and unit elections. The Lodge will send your unit leader a Google Form which is self-containing for the election process. It will include a brief video for your unit to watch before electing as well as the ballot.
- Do I need to conduct my unit’s election virtually?
Yes, all unit elections must be conducted virtually via the Google Form. Units may have a single screen showing the video at the beginning, but then it is recommended each youth have their own device for casting their ballot. Sharing of a single or handful of devices is not recommended due to COVID-19 concerns.
- The BSA already has all of my Scouts’ information. Why do I need to provide it again?
The national Order of the Arrow committee is in the process of building an integration with Scout Book which will be able to feed your eligible Scouts’ information directly into the unit elections system. This program is expected to be functional in late 2021, in time for 2022 unit elections.
- I have questions on the Unit Elections. Who can I contact?
Your local chapter adviser can be emailed at the same email for submitting your candidates (see Step 3). For general inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.