In 1915, on a wooded Island in Delaware, the Order of the Arrow was founded by E. Urner Goodman and Carroll A. Edson. On Treasure Island in Philadelphia, the first ceremony took place with only a few being inducted that year. Over the years, the Order spread slowly across the nation. In 1926, Camp Naish opened as property of the Boy Scouts of America, Kaw Council. As the Order spread it reached Camp Naish in 1939, where Tamegonit Lodge became the 147th Lodge to charter with the National Council.
As the Order grew at Camp Naish, Tamegonit Lodge developed a reputation for strong leadership and value. One of the first of such leaders was James Feil, who in 1953-1954 served as National Order of the Arrow Conference Chief, one of the first in the position that would later become National Chief. James’s father, L. George Feil began 18 years of services as the National Chairman of Order of the Arrow starting 1956. In 1958 Tamegonit Lodge was again honored by being asked to host the bi-annual National Order of the Arrow Conference, which was held at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS.
Tamegonit Lodge continued on, having its 25th anniversary in 1964, just one year before the 50th anniversary of the Order of the Arrow. While Tamegonit Lodge was growing, a major event loomed on its horizon, poised to launch Tamegonit Lodge into a greater and better era. In 1974, the Kaw Council and the Kansas City Area Council merged to form the Heart of America Council. Tamegonit Lodge had now almost doubled in size thanks to this fortunate merger. Just two years later, in 1976, the Theodore Naish Scout Reservation celebrated its 50th Anniversary, another milestone for the camp that our Order had sat on all those years. In, 1979 Mary Lee Feil and Louise Goodman received the Red Arrow Award. Mary was the mother of James and husband of L. George, thus bringing more success and recognition to our Lodge. Furthermore, Founder’s Recipient Ed Hubert was honored in 1981 by being the first Founder’s Award ever; the award presented was by the 1981 National Chief Brad Starr.
In 1989, the 50th anniversary of Tamegonit Lodge ushered in yet another age of cheerful service and brotherhood in Tamegonit Lodge, just one year before the 75th anniversary of Order of the Arrow. At the 50th anniversary celebration, the Tamegonit Lodge Great House was dedicated, thus reaffirming the presence of Tamegonit Lodge in the Heart of America Council.
Through the 1990’s and the new millennium, Tamegonit Lodge went on establishing success in many areas. Both the Tamegonit Lodge Nitis Wiwingtonheet and the Gentgeen team have been recognized nationally many times, being praised for their excellent Native American attire at almost every National Order of the Arrow Conference since 1992. Furthermore, several members of the lodge were recognized with the Distinguished Service Award, the national award to individual arrowman based on their service to Scouting and the Order. The most recent recipient of the Distinguished Service Award was Cortland Bolles, who was honored at the National Order of the Arrow Conference in 2004. Tamegonit Lodge has also been honored by being given the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award. In these past years, Tamegonit Lodge has also shown positive growth, achieving more than 4000 members, and receiving the Quality Lodge award countless times.
As we look to the future of the Order, Tamegonit looks to have a bright one, coming into the 100th anniversary of the Order and the 75th anniversary of the lodge in 2014.
Lodge Chief: Blake
Lodge Adviser: Mark Brewer